The Product Development function leads product strategy and execution for development and lifecycle products. The Project Manager in Product Development will be a highly-organized and versatile leader responsible for supporting two or more cross-functional project teams and/or functional sub-teams through complex decisions and milestones. The Project Manager supports the project team and project team leader in all aspects of product development (strategic, clinical, technical), from the time of early (pre-IND/CTA) development to product launch to lifecycle management. The Project Manager is focused on the operational aspects of the program and team (program planning; timelines; budgets, meeting agendas, facilitation, minutes, and action-item follow-up) while also supporting the team in making complex cross-functional decisions (e.g., scenario planning, risk assessment, setting strategic priorities).
The primary responsibility will be to provide project management expertise and support to cross-functional project teams (including sub-teams) and project team leaders, ensuring that project priorities and plans are developed and executed in accordance with corporate goals, and that the utilization of organizational, planning, tracking, and communication tools and techniques is practiced with high quality.
- Support identification, planning, and execution of key program initiatives.
- For project team meetings and other key meetings (e.g., sub-teams, alliance teams), prepare agendas, facilitate discussions, prepare minutes, and follow up on action items.
- Ensure alignment of objectives, plans, and activities across the project team and the various related project sub-teams (e.g., Clinical, CMC, Regulatory, etc.).
- Support preparation for other internal and external meetings and related deliverables (e.g., partner/alliance meetings, publications & congress planning, Executive Committee meetings, Board of Directors meetings, scientific and patient-focused conferences, etc.).
- Maintain close familiarity with operational aspects of the program and produce documents and visual tools to facilitate project tracking (e.g., decision and action logs, planning trackers, timelines, budgets).
- Support the project team and project team leader in making complex cross-functional recommendations / decisions (e.g., data collection, scenario planning, risk assessment, setting strategic priorities).
- Develop and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with key stakeholders on the project team and beyond.
- Help represent the program within Product Development and throughout the broader Gritstone Oncology organization.
- Ensure that timely and consistent communications regarding program strategy, status and decisions are made within the team and to other stakeholders, including senior management.
- Support project team and department initiatives such as strategic off-sites, team-building events, war games exercises, etc.
A Bachelor of Science required. Masters or PhD in a scientific discipline, or other advanced degree, highly preferred. Certification or professional training in project management preferred.
Skills / Experience
- 5+ years’ experience in a Biotech or Pharmaceutical organization with a minimum of 2 years in drug development, including project management experience.
- Strong working knowledge of overall drug development process and roles for the various functional areas within a biotech / pharmaceutical company.
- Demonstrated excellence in supporting pre-clinical and clinical-stage drug development programs, preferably across different phases (pre-IND, Phases I–IV).
- Adept ability to follow and accurately synthesize and document discussions on scientific and strategic topics.
- Attention to detail, curiosity, adaptability, and willingness/ability to learn quickly.
- Demonstrated excellence in managing multiple workstreams with varying priority.
- Strong oral and written communication skills as well as interpersonal and influence skills.
- Strong skills in use of MS tools, including PowerPoint, Excel, and MS Project.