The person who fills the Corporate Counsel position will be the second in-house attorney at Gritstone, an innovative, fast-paced oncology biotech. We are a tightly-knit, hard-working, friendly company with a noble goal—curing cancer. As part of a small but efficient and productive legal team, the Corporate Counsel will have opportunity to explore, tackle and solve a wide variety of legal issues as they converge with scientific and business matters, and therefore, must be an agile thinker, have a keen eye for spotting issues, possess a flexible, practical and thoughtful approach to solving complex legal and business issues, and have an excellent work ethic, topped off with a friendly, professional and courteous demeanor. The person in this role must be intellectually curious and ready to enthusiastically tackle novel legal and industry issues.
The responsibilities of the Corporate Counsel include, but are not limited to:
- Draft, negotiate and manage agreements for all company departments, including Clinical Operations, Manufacturing, Research, Finance, Regulatory/Quality, HR, etc.
- Assist with development, training and implementation of policy, with supervision from Associate General Counsel and with input from relevant stakeholders.
- Research, assess, and concisely advise internal clients on wide variety of legal issues as they arise.
- Travel quarterly to the Cambridge, MA facility to support internal clients at that GMP manufacturing laboratory facility.
- Regularly visit Pleasanton, CA manufacturing facility to support colleagues in person.
- Prepare and deliver training materials to variety of internal client audiences on topics from compliance, to confidentiality, to trade secrets and beyond.
- Research and prepare accurate and concise memos/advice to Associate General Counsel regarding complex issues such as EU General Data Privacy Act, export/import controls, and more.
- Administrative and paralegal functions as necessary to support the Legal Department and the company.
- JD (Juris Doctor) degree from a top accredited law school with membership in good standing at the bar.
- 5+ years legal practice experience with at least 2 years representing Life Sciences clients.
- Minimum of 2 years experience negotiating agreements for biotech/pharmaceutical clients.
- Have extensive experience representing Life Sciences clients.
- Have at least 3 years’ experience at a top law firm.
- Preference for candidates who have spent at least 2 years in-house at a biotech/pharmaceutical company.
- Experience in general securities and corporate law with an emphasis on representing public and private companies a plus
- Experience with IP portfolios (patent) a plus
- Experience in healthcare compliance a plus
- Strong communication, teamwork, interpersonal, and negotiation skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced, small start-up company environment
- Self-motivated, self-disciplined and able to function independently as well as part of an executive team
- Strategic agility, strong critical, and logical thinking with ability to analyze problems
- Strong ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work in an evolving environment
- Excellent presentation and written/verbal communication skills
- Professional and courteous demeanor