The Product Development Research Associate will assist in development efforts within the company to support the design and development of all Gritstone drug product manufacturing processes. Processes will vary in substance and composition, but will initially be focused on viral vector and nucleic acid based cancer vaccine products. The incumbent may also work with CMOs for DNA synthesis, and needs to have a strong understanding of DNA synthesis and analysis.
Summary of essential job functions:
- Assist Development scientists with process improvement projects for cell culture and purification development with analytical support:
- Must have hands-on experience with running and maintaining HPLC systems.
- Must have experience with UV-spectrometers and particle size analyzers.
- Assist in cell culture development with immunostaining techniques.
- Assist in virus purification development – must have experience in running gel electrophoresis. Virus or protein purification experience is desirable.
- Experience with Plasmid manufacture and transfection:
- Experience with Oligonucleotide synthesis and plasmid manufacture
- Experience with bacterial transformation, plasmid amplification and transfection techniques.
- Experience with DNA sequencing – NGS experience is a plus.
- B.S. / M.S in Biochemistry or Molecular Biology with 3-5 years of experience
- Experience with HPLC, UV spectrometry, particle size analysis.
- Experience with immunoassays and gel electrophoresis is preferred
- Experience with purification techniques like chromatography and filtration
- Experience with robotic liquid handlers is desirable.
- Experience working with plasmids and transfection is a plus.
- Experience with cGMP regulations and requirements.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Must have strong analytical thinking and ability to troubleshoot assay issues
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced, small start-up company environment
- Self-motivated, self-disciplined and able to function independently as well as part of a team
- Strong ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work in an evolving environment
- Good written/verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer proficiency (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)