Gritstone is seeking a senior attorney to be the second in-house counsel at the company. Gritstone is an innovative, fast-paced oncology biotech. We are a tightly-knit, hard-working, friendly company with a noble goal—curing cancer. As part of a small but efficient and productive legal team, the incoming senior attorney will have opportunity to explore, tackle and solve a wide variety of legal issues as they converge with scientific and business matters, and therefore, must be an agile thinker, have a keen eye for spotting issues, possess a flexible, practical and thoughtful approach to solving complex legal and business issues, and have an excellent work ethic, topped off with a friendly, professional and courteous demeanor. The person in this role must be intellectually curious and ready to enthusiastically tackle novel legal and industry issues.
The responsibilities of the new counsel role include, but are not limited to:
- General legal support of the company, with specific areas of responsibility based on the individual’s particular experience.
- Assisting with preparation for meetings of stockholders, Board of Directors and committees of the Board of Directors.
- Become familiar with and assist with management and strategy for company’s growing IP portfolio.
- Assist with development, training and implementation of compliance and other policies.
- Draft, negotiate and manage agreements for all company departments, including Clinical Operations, Manufacturing, Research, Finance, Regulatory/Quality, HR, etc.
- Collaborate to develop strategic roadmap for Legal and Compliance Department in order to optimally support Gritstone’s growth and success.
- Prepare and deliver training materials to variety of internal client audiences on topics from compliance, to confidentiality, to trade secrets and beyond.
- Research, assess, and concisely advise internal clients on wide variety of legal issues as they arise, including complex issues such as EU General Data Privacy Act, export/import controls.
- Travel to all Gritstone facilities (Emeryville, Cambridge, Pleasanton) and support internal clients.
- JD (Juris Doctor) degree from an accredited law school with membership in good standing at a state bar (California or Massachusetts preferred).
- 8+ years legal practice experience with at least 5 years representing Life Sciences clients.
- At least 3 years’ experience at a top law firm and a minimum of 2 years experience in-house at a biotech/pharmaceutical company.
- Demonstratrd extensive experience as a “generalist” supporting biotech/pharmaceutical clients.
- Experience managing patent portfolio, with a preference for patent license and/or relevant scientific undergraduate/graduate degree.
- Experience in general securities and corporate law with an emphasis on representing public and private companies, including, compliance matters for publicly traded companies, i.e. coordinating and providing legal advice on corporate governance, Delaware corporation law, SEC fillings including proxy statements, 8-Ks, 10-Ks and 10-Qs, Section 16 and other public disclosures, Sarbanes-Oxley and NASDAQ compliance and disclosure matters.
- Experience with healthcare compliance a plus; willingness to learn and assume responsibilities regarding Gritstone’s compliance program a requirement.
- Responsiveness to emails and internal requests; adherence to deadlines; excellent time-management skills.
- Must be able to thrive in a collaborative, teamwork environment. Flexibility and ability to re-prioritize workload is essential.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Independence, resourcefulness and ability to identify creative solutions to novel issues.
- Strategic agility, strong critical, and logical thinking.
- Excellent presentation and written/verbal communication skills.
- Congenial, professional and courteous demeanor.